Friday, April 13, 2012

New Beginnings

The Story of Macy Elizabeth
Born Easter Sunday, April 8, 2012
6:58am in Vail, CO
6lb 4oz, 19 inch


Favorite Pictures of Macy

Pre-Labor
While Macy was born on Easter Sunday, she started to make herself known starting on Thursday night around 9pm. I started having contractions that seemed to be anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes apart. I went to bed hoping that they would intensify but instead kinda faded off as I got a disturbed 5 hours of sleep. I woke up Friday and they began again and continued all day between 10 and 15 minutes apart. I kept thinking things would pick up. I packed my toiletries thinking that I would for sure not be getting dressed at home again. I canceled a play date for us in Eagle thinking that I didn't want to be far away from Justin when the time came to jet to the hospital. We continued on with our normal day and I headed to practice and then to our Easter party with the Brummers. I was tracking my contractions all day hoping to see some progression...but no. I tried to sleep Friday night, again thinking I would wake up to head to the hospital. I slept horrible and ended up just getting out of bed at 3:45am, but still no pick up in the contractions. I read my Bible for a few hours and then wondered how the rest of my day would go. I texted my head coach to tell him I wouldn't be at the meet and called my doctor. She said they needed to get closer before I came in. I woke Justin up and asked, "Do you think I am crazy if I want to go to the track meet?" He said to do whatever I was feeling. After saying that I was not coming to the meet, I re-texted and said I was coming! I needed to take my mind off of the contractions...what better way than to coach at a track meet! I didn't plan to stay very long, hoping that my water would literally break or figured I would just get tired. 10.5 hours later, after a GREAT meet full of fun, I headed home. Tracked all my contractions right along with the kids splits and was so glad that I went to the meet! I called the maternity floor before going to bed, trying to figure out how long this could go on (I was up to 48 hours at this point). The nurses gave me some great advice (spotting during pre-labor is good because that means your cervix is actually changing...also to come in when I hit more than six contractions in an hour). I headed to bed for another unknown night of sleep. "Night of sleep" turned out to be the opposite of what I did. The contractions kept me from sleeping and at about 12:45am/1ish, I decided the intensity had increased enough and I was finally on track to hit seven in an hour. I woke Justin up and off we went. Even though all of our stuff was ready to go, there was one thing that we had forgotten....gas in our cars! Both cars were on E and we just didn't want to make it to West Vail and not Vail! So, while I am breathing through contractions, we stopped in Edwards to fill up :)

Delivery
Oh the joy of second babies!!!
Here was our timeline of events once we got to the hospital:
1:45am - Arrived
2am - Got checked in and changed
2:15am - Was dilated to 3cm (woohoo, took all day to get that far with Mack)
2:30am - Epidural please!
4am - Epidural in, first restful time in the last 3 days, dilated to 6cm (holy smokes!)
5:45am - Doctor called in, dilated to 9.5cm (oh my gosh, so speedy!)
6:10ish - Dr. Bock breaks my water, we let Macy drop a bit more
6:40am - Do a round of practice pushes
6:45am - Start pushing (ended up pushing only 3 times)
6:58am - Macy takes her first breaths!

She came out looking quite purple but after some good deep breaths, she pink-ed up and we had a healthy delivery the whole way through - Praise God!

Post-Delivery
After she arrived, Justin cut her cord and she was put on my chest within a minute. She came out hungry as she latched on with no problem and ate from 7:10-9:15am - seriously! It was crazy. She ate so long that she peeped and pooped in the receiving blankets thus warranting her first bath much sooner than her older brother. After getting weighed and measured, the nurse gave her a bath, head in the sink first and then a sweet little bubble bath :) She complained a bit but then seemed to enjoy it! Justin got to hold her for the first time after she was all cleaned up....he was quite the patient daddy (letting us have our nursing time and then allowing the nurse to wisk her away). She pretty much slept the rest of the day except when they were taking her temperature or doing other little evaluations on her. I tried to nurse her more but the morning feeding seemed to hold her off for most of the day! What a perfect little miracle Macy is!






Meeting Macklin
Having Macklin meet Macy was a much anticipated event in my mind. I wanted everything to be perfect and him to have a positive experience. I snagged some cute Etsy shirts for him (and one for Macy for later). I got some new trains for Mack (as a gift from Macy) and had Macklin bring Macy her lovey as a gift. We waited for him to be well rested (post nap time instead of trying to squeeze it in earlier). I made sure to shower and look fresh so mommy didn't look weird. The result - I think all of that stuff paid off! It did seem to be a positive experience for him. He seemed really in tune with what was happening. He was still working on the fact that Baby Cheese was now Macy and that mommy's belly wasn't quite as large any more.

First Brandt Family of Four Picture



Holding Macy for the First Time



Yah for Popsciles (like Sibling Class)

Holding Macy By Himself
(one of my favorite pictures)

Kisses for Macy

Gift Exchange

Who does she look like?
When I first saw her head (yes I peeked early), I couldn't believe that she actually had dark hair. I mean, Justin and I had joked that she would look nothing like our blonde haried, blue eyed son, but I didn't really believe it. When she arrived, I was in shock! This sweet little thing bared no resemblence to my son or me...but boy did she match Justin! After the day went by, we started to see other charactistics that matched Macklin, but not really either Justin or myself yet (we think that is hard to do). I took a similar pic of each of them to see. (For more pictures of Macklin when he was first born, click here.) What do you think? I think she looks like Macy!

Day 1 Visitors
We were so blessed to have many friends come by, even in Macy's first day with us! Daniel clearly visited as he brought Macklin to meet his new sister. The Smileys were close by already :) The Rittmillers stopped by after Easter lunch. Then Mindy (who we got to hold Macy!) and Devyn (creator of all of Macy's cute new hats) brought us an incredible Easter dinner complete with prime rib, grilled veggies, potatoes, bread, and dessert (thank you so much!). Finally, just before midnight (but still on the day of her birth), Mimi and Papa made it to Vail! What a great day all around and such a blessing to have so much support!







No comments:

Post a Comment