Sunday, September 26, 2010

Woohooo for Naps!

What a difference five days can make!

Macklin is THRIVING on the new schedule that we have been doing for the past five days. I pretty much came to the conclusion that he wasn't napping enough and getting overly tired and then not sleeping much at all. A well rested baby sleeps well and a tired baby is crabby often...that is what I have learned.

We were all about schedules at first (who would have thought, Melinda likes organization and schedules??? No!!! Oh wait, yes, if it involves me, organization abounds!). We followed BabyWise principals (I know, everyone has their thoughts on this, we like it) and had a happy little newborn. I only read up to the 2 month sections as I thought that was all I could take in. I planned to come back to it later. Well, instead of coming back to it, we just kept doing the 2 month cycles and then I realized my boy was 4 months old! So, I missed a few things in there. So, from 8 weeks to 4.5 months Macklin was doing great. But for the past month, his sleep and naps have been way off and nothing has been regular thanks to busy schedules and inconsistent parents (us).

Last week I was in search of a new routine and found one on a mommy site that follows BabyWise principals (as posted earlier). After thinking about our lives and recommendations from other mommies, here is the routine for Macklin:
7am wake up and feed
8:30am nap (has been 1.5-2 hours)
10:45am feed
12:15pm nap (more like 1-1.5 hours)
2:30pm feed
4pm nap (lucky if he is in bed for an hour)
6:15pm feed
8pm off to bed
sleeps til 7am the next morning!

So, today was an amazing day for Macklin. I even tried to take him to Young Life again and he didn't make a peep the whole night. He just watched and took everything in!

It is amazing how happy a happy baby can make his mommy!

Now, I am just bummed that he wasn't this well rested for the past month!
Poor first child....his parents have to learn on him!

2 comments:

  1. We are pretty much doing the same thing, but you are just a little bit ahead of us! It is SO helpful for me to read about what is to come!

    Glad that naps are going well again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Don't worry though, his naps will change on you in the next few months! :)

    I have always heard that a baby changes on you just when you have your schedule down pat. And its true! I love love love the 3 hour nap that we have, if only I could get her to take it a couple of hours LATER! :)

    I guess what I mean to say is...Congrats on a job well done with naps! Isn't it SO much nicer?!?

    ReplyDelete