Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yesterday I started making baby food! It was way easier than I thought and it is going to be super cheap too! Macklin has eaten a few things...blueberries, rice cereal, bananas, and avocados. Blueberries were a random first food. Then I went to rice cereal and he gulps that down! Then I tried putting a banana and avocado (different times) in that little mesh bags for him to try too! Avocado is really the one thing he has eaten a good chunk of (for all those 40-60 year old moms, avocado is the new recommended first baby food! crazy, eh?).

Since he is approaching this big eating stage, I thought I would whip up some things to work with. So, yesterday, with the help of this great website and my magic bullet (which is perfect by the way!) I made a ton of baby food!

We made green beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, avocados, and then froze some more bananas too. I just baked or steamed the veggie, then put it in the magic bullet with water. So easy! Out of one squash (at 50 cents a pound) I got like 30 tablespoons of baby food. I was planning to put them in ice cube trays and freeze them. But my mom gave me the idea of just putting the tablespoon portions onto a wax paper sheet and freeze them. Then I took them out and put them in baggies. It did take most of the afternoon, but totally worth it and I don't plan on having to do it again for a while! So fun to know that I am making pure veggies for my baby to eat! Keep you posted on what he likes best!

Here are some of the bags I have frozen!

Don't they look like that old dot candy?


My boy with avocado on his face!

Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment