Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cloth Diapers



To all my Cloth Diapering Friends....I need help!

We use the Bum Genius 3.0 diaper (like the one here, just one version older).

I have LOVED my cloth diapers and totally planned to use them for any future kids. I get excited thinking about how much money we save on buying regular diapers. I think they are cute when Mack walks around in the them. I tell everyone al the details they want to know about them. I don't think they are too much of a hassle. I even expected to have to change out the velcro at some point, but other than that, I thought they would just keep lasting forever!

BUT...

The waterproof layer is totally breaking down! I had never heard of this and am anxious to figure out why! I haven't had too much of an issue with the inserts. I did do a "cleanse" on them once since I thought they were not absorbing anymore. That seemed to fix the issue though. But not Macklin will have wet spots right in the middle of his tush! So strange.

I am upset about this because I had planned to use them for so long.
Now I just want to know what I am doing wrong.

Here is how I care for them....
-Spray off any access solids immediately upon changing
-Throw into dry pail until washing
-Wash once on cold with special detergent (recommended by Cotton Babies)
-Wash once on hot with bleach and special detergent
-One more rinse cycle on warm
-Hang dry the covers
-Put inserts into the dryer

One of my friends suggested putting the covers in the dryer for a hot cycle to try to melt the waxy waterproof layer back together, but that didn't really do anything for mine
(even though I had all the hope in the world that it was going to fix them!).

I need help. If anyone has any options/suggestions for me, please share!

I am now just "x"-ing out the ones that are leaking and slowing putting them aside. I have to load up the night time ones so thick that it must be uncomfortable for Macklin, but he doesn't seem to mind yet :)

2 comments:

  1. Bummer! :( We have been using the same diapers for about the same amount of time, but haven't had this problem. The only real difference between our washing regimes is that I use bleach on the inserts only (and only about once a week). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am wondering if it could be the bleach. You could contact the makers of the diapers, i have heard they will replace diapers that have prematurely stopped working. If the directions say no bleach and you used it anyway, they may not help you with that. ??? sorry you are having this problem. Maybe just bleaching the inserts would be better.

    ReplyDelete