Monday, January 10, 2011

BC Snowshoe Race #1


I have loved this series since the first winter we moved here! It is awesome to have something fun in the winter when you are normally bumming about the cold. Up here in the mountains, we embrace the cold and do fun things like race while wearing snowshoes! This is my fourth year competing in the series. The first year it took a couple of races to figure things out. You realize that it is not just a road run, that you are not a loser if you can't run the whole thing, that it is actually really hard, and that it is one of the most social "local" things in the valley! I totally love it.

Well, this year, the stakes were raised. There are three races (one a month) and there is now series prize money for the top 5 racers in each division (5k and 10k). Normally the 10k is the more competitive division, but they are offering equal prize money for both divisions. If they would have done this two years ago, I would have won the 5k! Now, with more on the line, some awesome athletes have joined in!

Yesterday was our first race and I am proud to say that I finished 3rd. I should have had 2nd, but I just didn't get it done. I should get her next time. I think 1st is spoken for by an awesome chica from the Atlas Snowshoe team. She beat me and the 2nd place girl by 2 minutes! But, 2-5 will be a battle each month. In order to get the prize money, you have to race in all 3 of them. So, hopefully all of the girls will be there each week.

I was really nervous about this race as the money thing is totally different. Did I mention first prize is $2000 and 2nd place gets $1000!!!??? That is nuts! I did have to spend some time in prayer before I left just asking God to take control of the situation and keep my prideful heart out of the way. God is good and I feel very good about how I did - it wasn't first, but I gave it my best.

3 of my EVHS XC runners who competed!

Two of my runners finishing their first snowshoe race ever!

The Precious Baker Family

No comments:

Post a Comment