Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snowshoe Race #2

The second race of the was today. It turned out to be a great day for me and my high school friend Nikki! I have been feeling pretty good on my runs lately, so I decided to just go for it and see what happened during the race. I could tell from the first quarter mile that I was just a bit slower than the last race (overall speed just slowing down...maybe it is this sweet baby girl that is getting bigger in my belly :). So, I had to adjust right away to settle into a slower pace and be content with that. The race has some great single-track sections in this course and those were challenging with footing as well as steepness. I ran the majority of it, but was careful and more conservative than normal.

As I said in the last post about racing, the 5k group has changed dramatically since last year, but there are still some speedy women in it. My runner, Nikki, took off with me but I quickly fell behind. I saw her going into the upper single track loop and there was only one person separating us. One girl caught me in this loop and stayed behind for a bit. As soon as we hit the wider path again, she busted it down the final mile to the finish. I ended up placing 4th and Nikki got 2nd on the day...oh how I should have stayed with that chica! No regrets though!

I was 3 minutes behind a babyless body from last year (34 min vs 37 min). But, I felt as though I did a great job compared to 2010 when I just walked it with Macklin in the belly.

What's next? The Winter Teva Mountain Games 5k Snowshoe is on Saturday night, and then the March race will be debatable!

Congrats to Nikki!

Sporting our new series shirts in the bathrooms...and being slightly goofy!

No comments:

Post a Comment