Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Changing World of Cloth Diapers

Oh how my world is "changing." Not only do we have this precious baby Macy, but the amount of diapers being peed and pooped on in this house has more than doubled! I knew two in diapers would be challenging (wait, didn't I just change that diaper? change one kid and then the other poops!), but I forgot how many diapers would be going through my laundry! 

Here are some numbers...we have 25 Bum Genius One Size pocket diapers. This is actually more than needed for one toddler. Macklin is still continuing his normal trend of about 8 diapers a  day. I had ten Thirsty newborn diapers that I got from a friend and though this would help my cause with Macy and save us a bit of money. Then my friend Amberly offered me her Bum Genius newborn diapers - of which she had 48 of them (at first I thought that was soooo many). Well, turns out, Macy's little legs aren't big enough for the Thirsty's and she kept peeing out of them. So glad that Amberly let me use hers! And, 48 seems to be barely enough. I took out 24 from the bag to start with, but when I didn't do the laundry fast enough, I kept pulling a few more out and now I almost have all of them in rotation. I used to wash the 25 diapers every other day or every three days. Now, I have 25 diapers and then the 48 newborn diaps - yikes! I forgot how often you change newborn diapers! Last night I washed 25 newborn diapers and 19 of Macklin's (didn't I just do that the day before!??). 

While I joke, we still stand by using the cloth diapers as they are totally worth the extra work. Macy went through a whole pack of diapers in her first week of life and another pack before her cord fell off (that is when we started with the cloth). That was $20 a week or so, making it $100 a month. I think using the cloth is a great savings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment