Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Eagle Flight Days 5k


On Sunday at the Eagle Flight Days 5k, I had a moment that took six years to create. I felt like the culmination of living in the Vail Valley was on display for me in a coaching sense. What happened, you ask. 

I had 18 members of my cross country team at a local 5k!!!!

Two coaches racing, one worker (it was her job or she would have been running too), and then 15 racers all took part in the Flight Days 5k (one did run the 10k, woohoo). I was beyond excited to have this type of turn out. I only had 38 runners on the team last year and, of those, I think only 27 of them are returning. So to have 15 of those returning runners compete in a summer run just because they want to = SUCCESS! Not only did they compete, but they competed well. The course was long and the results did not reflect the hard work that kids are putting in this summer - that was a bummer. But the fact that 14 of my runners made up the top 24 racers overall in the 5k was incredible! I was so proud of each of them. One more fact - we had three tops runners at an elite running camp, one was out of town and another was doing a 24 hour race himself. I am really excited about the running culture that EVXC has established over the past six years. We are set to have a great season this fall. I can't wait for August  12th to come! 

Can't forget my biggest fan! Love this shirt! 
He cheered me on to defend my title in this race from last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment